View Museum History/Exhibits


The Children’s Museum of History,
Natural History, Science & Technology
311 Main Street, Utica, NY 13501

P: 315-724-6129 


Located in the historic Bagg's Square area at the corner of Main and Railroad Streets, the five story brick building was constructed in 1893 as the headquarters for the John C. Heiber Dry Goods Company. One of the best know wholesale dry goods houses in the central and northern New York, "it once drew visitors who came on train from as far away as Albany and Syracuse to shop for dry goods". The interesting Romanesque Revival exterior remains as imposing as ever, and the charm of the period remains inside with its decoratively paneled central oak staircase, an original glass and wood paneled office, and fourteen foot high ceiling sheathed in fancy pressed tin. For years, two and a half of the 5 floors, each floor approximately 6,000 square feet, were used for exhibits and program areas. Today four of the five floors are open, containing thousands of hands-on exhibits.

One of the oldest Children's Museum's in the country, we were founded in 1963 by The Junior League (originally located in various Utica buildings). The 1979 Board of Directors bought the building in 1979, renovated it partially, and moved in. Throughout the succeeding years, the museum was run by various Boards of Directors and Executive Directors. In 2001, the museum nearly closed its doors due to financial difficulties. The then Board asked Marlene Brown to become the Executive Director, which she did at no salary (even though she had a contract to get paid), in order to pay off outstanding debts and keep the doors open. In 2007 our building was declared a NYS & Federal historic building.


The Children's Museum historic building, left, and history wall on our 1st floor, above

2009 The Children's Museum shines in all its glory


Exploring our interactive local History Diorama & Erie Canal exhibit

Interactive Erie Canal exhibit unveiled at Children's Museum, built & created by the GE Elfun's, gets setup at the museum - above, L to R. Ken Driscoll, Steve Butler, Bob Dicks, John Stephenson, Bill Sheerin
   

Meyda Tiffany chandeleir, a smaller replica of the Stanley's, shines in all its glory in the Children's Museum's inner front foyer area

New rope lites and beautiful large wreath adorn the front of our Children's Museum building

Two stunning new signs installed on our museum roof

Our sign facing North Utica seen from over the bridge!

Our sign facing downtown Utica seen from up Genesee!

Meet Our EURYPTIRID


New York state's Official Fossil, the Euryptirid -- shown here -- like all the fossils in our collection, comes from Central New York. It was mined in Ilion by Lang's Fossils. The Children's Museum has a large collection of fossils, located on our 2nd floor.


Wax model of a dinosaur, created by Lewis Brown

The Museum's only painting is "Fording the Mohawk River", 1933, by Utica Artist Egbert C. Clark.

Clark, a well known Utica Artist, was chosen in 1941 to supervise and lead the WPA Diorama Project, housed in the Museum's collection.


Utica, NY in 1855 - in 38 years the Children's Museum building would be erected!

The Children’s Museum, 311 Main Street, Utica, NY 13501 * Web: www.museum4kids.net